Saturday, January 19, 2008

Prayer the Church's Banquet

Here is an amazing poem by the English clergyman George Herbert (1593-1633).

Prayer the Church's Banquet

Prayer the Church's banquet; Angels' age,
God's breath in man returning to his birth,
The soul in paraphrase, heart in pilgrimage,
The Christian plummet, sounding heaven and earth ;
Engine against the Almighty, sinner's tower,
Reversed thunder, Christ-side-piercing spear,
The six days' world-transposing in an hour,
A kind of tune, which all things hear and fear ;
Softness, and peace, and joy, and love, and bliss,
Exalted Manna, gladness of the best,
Heaven in ordinary, man well dressed,
The milky way, the bird of Paradise,
Church-bells beyond the stars heard, the souls blood,
The land of spices; something understood.


This poem, in sonnet form, is essentially a list. I find it provocative and daring, I don't understand it all, but it makes me almost "hungry," in my soul.

What does it mean that prayer is "reversed thunder" or an "engine against the Almighty"? I don't really know, but I like it. I believe it.

And how wonderously helpful to think of prayer as the "soul in paraphrase." How beautiful to be able to say: "God's breath in man returning to its birth."

This poem very much recalls for me a poem by contemporary poet Carol Ann Duffy. http://www.jeanettewinterson.com/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=236 She also uses the sonnet form to write about prayer. It's very modern in its ability to believe (by which I mean filled with angst and self), but still, I find it beautiful and full of hope. It's worth comparing these two poems.

Let these poems get into you... their cadences and images, their music and meaning. Maybe comment on your favorite phrases. And for an assignment, write your own list-poem exploring all sorts of facets of something that captivates you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'engine against the Almighty, sinner's tower' seems to me to evoke the thought of a seige engine or tower, that - through prayer - we can engage in a 'benign' assault against heaven's ramparts, storming the walls of heaven's fortress, daring to break in to God's domain. Anythoughts.

Jenny Jiang said...

Roger,
Your comment and take on this makes very much good sense to me--

There's this great sense of irony in this poem-- it seems to me to be the kind of irony only acheived when you take your subject very very seriously, when you are truly in earnest about it, I mean--

To make an assualt against heaven-- to even become "reversed thunder"--
what a thing. Can my prayer be this powerful? Can the prayers of the church today? For the AIDS crisis in Africa? For my neighbors?

Thank you so so much Roger.
I would very much like to know how you found this blog?

Best to you in England!

Jenny