Friday, August 10, 2007

Spiritual Formation and Making Art

I've grown a lot more self-conscious about this blog and its place on the church web site, especially since the church's creative writers group is currently out of commission. A little tune from Sesame Street often comes into my head: "One of these blogs is not like the others....one of these blogs just doesn't belong..."

Ultimately, the blog may not belong on this site. But I have deeply appreciated how the church has taken some rather unconventional steps to embrace and encourage the arts, including creative writing. I know there are many beautiful reasons for this, including a core belief that God delights in the creativity and self-expression of his children. I also think the church believes that the making of art is another path, another spiritual discipline that God often uses in the formation of our souls.

I thought a lot about how creative writing can lead us a bit towards the Kingdom of God while I was preparing to teach in the Arts Camp this summer. I'd like to share some of those thoughts here.

Usually, I hate to articulate the purposes and usefulness of a thing. This is simply because of some badly formed areas in me that tend to be rather uninterested in things that are "good for me," or come with some other kind of claim. Also, I feel like I barely have a grasp on what spiritual formation means, and so trying to say anything meaningful on this topic just seems riduculously presumptive. Please read what I say with this in mind. Most of all, I believe we write or make any other art because we want to. I also believe we pray because we want to. And we love others for the same reason. But I might be wrong about all that. Anyway, like I said, this blog might not belong. But here are my fairly rough thoughts. They are all quite related, and may be restating one another again and again. Do you have anything to add (or subtract)?

1) Creative Writing (and other art making) puts us in touch with our Self. I have most learned this from the poet William Stafford, and I intend to write more about him later. But I think this is a major gift of art making. I am tending toward a belief that real art is only made by free selves. Not for any secondary purpose but to express a self. It is a place to acknowledge the fact of our existence as a self that God has chosen for his universe of existence.

2) It also puts us in touch with the moment, with the Now. That's where poetry and other art comes from. And this is also, I've been told, where God meets us.

3) As we make art, we become more attentive to the world God has made, to ourselves, to others, and hopefully, through all of this attentiveness, to the eternal God himself. I think we start with how we see the world and this moment around us. That is enough work to last me for the rest of my life, I believe.

4) Making art allows us to live in wonder. When we let ourselves be surprised, astonished, delighted or appalled by the real, I think perhaps we let ourselves get a little closer to listening to God. (maybe I'm wrong).

5) I have found that for all of the reasons I've listed above, and more, making art has drawn me into a deeper connection with other people. I can see more of the beauty of their stories and of their selves. Writing has become another way for me to attend to others, which is one small way to love.

6) Perhaps I could say that making art also makes me a little more discerning about what is true and what is beautiful and lovely.

I think there must be other ways that making art and creative writing in particular can be a gracious tool in our spiritual formation. Do you have anything to add?

I also suppose that there are some pitfalls, some sins and blindspots that art making could encourage. Maybe I'll think about that and do another blog.

Regardless, it would be a pleasure to hear from any other artists about what you have discovered about the intersection of art and spiritual formation.

---Jenny Jiang

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Jenny,

I do not see how you put this blog does not belong
and than write so clearly about how it does.

Your writing group and this experiement were/are critical things in helping God to get through to me.

I have many other comments, but I hope someone else will emerge to you. I blabber on and on given the least encouragement.

Again I say, please post something you have written! I love to hear (or read!) your poems.

gi

Anonymous said...

I really believe that a big part of how we are created in the image of God is in the part of ourselves that desires to create something useful, stirring, or beautiful. Everyone has that generative urge deep inside of them and many would take exception to its being Art, but would agree they feel energized and "free" when they allow themselves to create.

I was asking a friend who is a computer programmer if he feels like his creativity is expressed when he writes a program that runs well and after a slight embarrassment, he said that it does indeed fulfill that creative urge he has and then he pointed out that the correlation of mathematics and music is very strong and that similarly, writing code could be like composing for him. I thought that was beautiful! He would not call it Art, nor probably would people who love to cook, design gardens, scrapbook, etc., but I think in some way it is, because something has emerged from the persons mind, imagination & body to reflect their personhood & talent in a unique way.

Dallas Willard makes the comment that when you see a great athlete in action or an opera singer perform, we are drawn to it because we see the person's soul. The combination of discipline, vision, imagination and hard work results in the freedom of that person - at least in that area.

I think those things are the parts of spiritual formation, too. The vision of who we are in Christ, the disciplines that help us to be more like him, and our own unique personality which hopefully combine to allow us more freedom, more creativity, whether it is building a birdhouse, baking a lemon meringue pie, or writing a beautiful poem.

Jenny Jiang said...

Thanks for that, Valerie. That's a wonderful thought. It seems as if you and Willard were saying that whenever a person has the freedom to bring their full self (as much as possible) into an experience, it is something creative, redemptive, even holy. It is art.


-jenny

Unknown said...

"Everyone has that generative urge deep inside of them and many would take exception to its being Art, but would agree they feel energized and "free" when they allow themselves to create."

I am curious about this comment "many would take exception to it's being art".

Maybe some definitions?

Anonymous said...

Just to say that creativity is not confined to traditional visual and performance art, yet provides an outlet to express that God given urge inside us all - cooking, programming, planting a garden all have validity as expressions of our creative selves.