Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Thoughts from a mother to other mother artists (and fathers....and other nurturers)

My return to creative writing coincided (not coincidentally, I believe) with the beginning of my life as mother. Among other things, this means that all my creative work, like everyone else's I know, has to fit around my life. Of course, it's a struggle. A toddler doesn't understand the meaning of "A room of her own." Babies catch colds, they have sleepless nights, cranky days. They need. My family (and many others) need me, the physical me, a lot more than they need my writing. And yet, I believe I need to, I would even say I am called to write. I believe that it is an act of faith and gratitude and perhaps even service. And I believe that learning to live with the tension of these different needs and demands and desires, and learning to trust God with those things and with what I cannot do and with what I must do is one of the most important tasks in my writing.

Right around the time I started writing, I read a little essay by Alicia Ostriker called, "A Wild Surmise: Motherhood and Poetry." Ostriker had encountered feminists who argued a woman diminished her life and her value as an artist if she had children. In this essay, Ostriker makes a strong argument against this lie. I was very inspired by what she wrote, so I'd like to quote it here. I will comment though, that I think men, as well as women who don't have children, can also learn from what she's written, to the extent that she challenges us to look at the whole of life, the actual life we have--a life with family and work and bodies and relationships--as valid, important (and I would argue) even sacred subject matter for any writer.

The quote follows. I'd love to hear your comments. I know she will say things that irritate some people, so.... it would be fun to talk about our reactions.

"... For women as artists, the most obvious truth is that the decision to have children is irrevocable. Having made it you are stuck with it forever; existence is never the same afterward, when you have put yourself, as de Beauvoir correctly says, in the service of the species. You no longer belong to yourself. Your time, energy, body, spirit, and freedom are drained. You do not, however, lack what W. B. Yeats prayed for: an interesting life. In practical terms, you may ask yourself, 'How can I ever write when I am involved with this child?' This is a real and desperate question. But can you imagine Petrarch, Dante, Keats, bemoaning their lot---'God, I'm so involved with this woman, how can I write?'

"The advantage of motherhood for a woman artist is that it puts her in immediate and inescapable contract with the sources of life, death, beauty, growth, corruption. If she is a theoretician it teaches her things she could not learn otherwise; if she is a moralist it engages her in serious and useful work; if she is a romantic it constitutes an adventure which cannot be duplicated by any other, and which is guaranteed to supply her with experiences of utter joy and utter misery; if she is a classicist it will nicely illustrate the vanity of human wishes. If the woman artist has been trained to believe that the activities of motherhood are trivial, tangential to the main issues of life, irrelevant to the great themes of literature, she should untrain herself. The training is misogynist, it protects and perpetuates systems of thought and feeling which prefer violence and death to love and birth, and it is a lie.

"....The writer who is a mother should, I think, record everything she can...and remind herself that there is a subject of incalculably vast significance to humanity, about which virtually nothing is known because writers have not been mothers. 'We think back through our mothers, if we are women,' declares Woolf, but through whom can those who are themselves mothers, when they want to know what this endeavor in their lives means, do their thinking? We should all be looking at each other with a wild surmise, it seems to me, because we all need data, we need information, not only of the sort provided by doctors, psychologists, sociologists examining a phenomenon from the outside, but the sort provided by poets, novelists, artists, from within. As our knowledge begins to accumulate, we can imagine what it would signify to all women, and men, to live in a culture where child-birth and mothering occupied the kind of position that sex and romantic love have occupied in literature and art for the last five hundred years, or the kind of position that warfare has occupied since literature began."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Saturday night as you were reading your poems about being mother, it awakened a disappointment in me that I somehow missed that “Mother’s Day” was coming and I didn’t select a book to read with my friends about being mother or plan a discussion or write something reflective. This morning I remembered your blog and was greeted with this great piece that provokes me to think about this choice. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Yesterday, Mother’s Day, I was reading an article about a 70-year-old woman who has cared for 300 foster children. Her first was a neglected 7 year old girl who drew a heart on the chalkboard and wrote, “love has to be found” in the center. There’s no question that babies and children need someone who cares about them. But, some of my most painful experiences have been because of the boys. We have lots of single adults in our family. I think marriage teaches you how to compromise, but kids teach you how to be flexible. Give up those expectations. Things just don’t turn out the way I expect.

The point about remembering is critical. Things get so hectic you need little notes, details of expressions, collections of words said, to recall 25 years later when you get the time to indulge and write. Even though my boys have been away at college for the past 7 years, this is the first year I genuinely feel like an “empty nester”. Meaning I don’t have that concern about details hovering in the background all the time. There’s the time to spend on writing --- if I could only remember!

I especially like this final notion in Ostriker’s piece “. . . we can imagine what it would signify to all women, and men, to live in a culture where child-birth and mothering occupied the kind of position that sex and romantic love have occupied in literature and art for the last five hundred years, or the kind of position that warfare has occupied since literature began."

Relentless Toil said...

Thank you for this. I know I'm a year late, but today was one of the hard days (a three-year-old with a bad cold, and her mommy sick too, with pressure from her day job, and despairing over when she will get back to HER work). Then I found this. I've long had the impression that we mothers are supposed to be selfless and uncomplaining and indeed flexible but it's HARD.